Google My Business is one of the easiest ways to improve the appearance of your site in search results, yet many businesses fail to use it to its full potential.
As many brands look to recover from the Covid-19 pandemic, taking advantage of free tools like Google My Business will amplify your business’ searchability.
So, what is Google My Business?
It is basically a local business listing service and is essential for SEO, best of all, it’s free to set up and will enable you to appear in local search results relating to your products and/or services.
Every business has a chance of achieving a prominent listing if they get the basics right and deliver value to their customers.
Why do you need a Google My Business page?
Whatever type of business you have, you need a GMB page.
A listing can help your business stand out in search results and can help people find your business whether it’s offline or online.
If your competitors don’t have a GMB listing, this is a chance to gain an advantage, your mobile and local search results will stand out more and searchers will be more likely to see your listing.
Engage with your customers, you can respond to reviews, answer questions, enable direct messaging and set up associated alerts. You can also publish posts to your business profile much like you would with other social media platforms.
How to claim your business listing
It’s free to claim and verify your business, simply visit https://support.google.com/business/answer/2911778?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en-GB to start the process.
Now you’ve got your listing, how do you make the most of it?
- Enter complete data: Local search results favour the most relevant results for searches, and businesses offering the most detailed and accurate information will be easier to serve in search.
Don’t leave anything to be guessed or assumed; make sure your listing communicates with potential customers what your business does, where it is, and how they can acquire the good and/or services your business is offering.
- Write a solid description: It is essential to write a clear, concise and engaging description for your Google My Business profile. This is a free way that you can help potential customers learn more about you and your business. Keep it short and sweet while also giving people a reason to learn more about you by visiting your social media profiles or website.
- Set your primary and secondary business categories: There are thousands of potential categories available so make sure to be specific here. Be sure to choose the category (or categories) that most accurately describe your business, but don’t overdo it!
- Include keywords: Don’t leave anything to be guessed or assumed; make sure your listing communicates with potential customers what your business does, where it is and how they can acquire the good and/or services your business is offering.
- Keep your hours correct: It’s important to enter your business hours, especially as these may have changed due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Add photos: Businesses with photos on their listing receive 42% more requests for driving directions on Google Maps and 35% more click-throughs to their websites than businesses without.
- Manage & Respond to Reviews: Interacting with customers by responding to their reviews illustrates that your business values its customers and the feedback that they leave regarding it.
Positive reviews are going to have a positive effect on potential customers when researching your business, but they also increase your business’s visibility in search results.
A Google My Business listing is a must for businesses of any size, it’s free and one of the easiest and fastest ways to increase your visibility on search results.
If you need assistance with your Google My Business listing please feel free to get in touch, we’d be happy to help.